I'll start off by saying, this was a great experience! One that I am so glad I was able to experience and to experience it with my children and husband! Thank you to everyone who supported us! Our family raised just under $500 and our team raised over $2200! For a team that was not corporate sponsored we did well!
Alesa and I were in charge of our camp's decor Alesa suggested "monster" theme because she was doing a birthday party next month with that theme. I thought it was great and Alesa even made signs that said "Beat the Monster" refering to cancer. When it got dark we hung glow bracelets in a chain around our tent- very festive!
We started out the evening with the Survivor Victory lap. The high school band led the way and all the survivors and caregivers walked the lap while the rest of us stood on the sidelines and clapped for them. I don't think there were many dry eyes. It was touching to see those who have beat cancer and those still fighting. I hope they continue to fight with all they have!
We then spent the next 12 hours walking, jogging, eating, selling, reading, sleeping (very little), dancing, playing games and listening to the bands.


The "boys" doing their laps.
Dancing the "Electric Slide"Just as it got dark (9:30) they lit all the luminarias and read EVERY single name of someone who had a luminary purchased for them. The names on the luminarias represent someone who fought cancer whether they lost, won or are still fighting. At the end they had bagpipes play Amazing Grace. It was quite a touching moment. There were many, many names read and it was amazing to walk around and see the bags decorated. What a beautiful sight! They also had a row boat with a big "hope" sign that was lit floating in the pond through out the night. Hope, that's what it is really all about.



We had a bunch of different things there to sell, with all proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. Katie decided her job was to sell, so she did, and she was fearless! She started with the glow sticks and sold those until just about everybody in the park had one. I would laugh everytime I was out walking and would notice all the old, young, teens with at least one glow bracelet! After she had saturated that market she sold the homemade bread and candied popcorn. She definately has a future as a carnival barker! We made about $700 that night and I'm pretty sure Katie made 1/2 of it! Way to go Katie!
One of the booths was selling necklaces that you got to add a bead on for every lap you made. Alesa and I thought it was a grand idea so we bought one. It was so fun to add the beads. According to my beads I walked more than 8 miles that night and I even jogged about 1/2 mile plus a little more that Alesa and I did together! That jog was at 2:30 am, maybe that's the trick, I need to go jogging in the middle of the night! :)
We took our tent for the kids to sleep in. It was perfect for changing also. Bevan and Maddie slept most of the night (and Doug got a few hours) Kaie didn't sleep until about 2:00 then she cuddled up in a blanket and passed out!
In the morning I started having flashbacks to when I was a Young Woman at Girl's Camp. Everyone else was wrapped up in blankets trying to stay warm and awake and I was jumping around dancing to "500 Miles" (Don't know if that's really the name- it's from Benny & Joon). Maddie looked up at me with big eyes and said "Now I know what happens to you when you stay up all night." Hee, hee, I don't know that Maddie's ever seen me relax and have fun like that- I definately need to do it more often.
The Relay for Life event was ended with a balloon release to "fight back". Get those screenings, take care of your body so you can "fight back"! The whole thing was really an amazing experience! I can't do it justice through these words- they sound more like a travel log. But I was touched, so much so, that Alesa and I decided we might put together a team next year for our own valley's Relay for Life. But the question is; "Can we do 24 hours?" Anyone want to join us on our team?
1 comments:
What a great thing you did! Sounds awesome. The song you are refering to is a Proclaimers song.
Post a Comment