Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ahhh, quiet

Quiet, is it a good thing? I thought it was, and I was really looking forward to it, but now I'm not so sure! :)


Today is the first day of school. The first day Maddie goes all day. I've always prided myself on not crying when my kids go to kindergarten, they're so excited, and I'm excited for all the wonderful things they are going to experience. But, today as I took Maddie to 1st grade, I got teary eyed. She's been my little buddy for so long! We've gone everywhere together and I'm going to miss her more than I thought. I still have my buddy Bevan, we immediately came home and read Dr. Seuss's "ABC" book. I dare you to read that and not be happy! This will be a fun time for me and Bevan, one I will try to treasure every moment of (at least most of them), I know this time will go too fast and I will never get it back.


Ok, I'm done "waxing nostalgic", now on to the girls.

Both of them seem to have great teachers. Maddie has a teacher who is probably about 40 and has never been married, we've heard wonderful things about her. Katie's 4th grade teacher is all about Dr. Seuss, so she has to be amazing! Truly she has set her whole class up around the book "Oh, The Places You'll Go", this is definitely one of Dr. Seuss's masterpieces! She has "Whoville Council" and many of "Dr. Seuss" theme activities, I think I love her! I hope Katie does as well!



Last night Doug gave both of the girls blessings, a tradition my parents did with me and one Doug has carried on with our kids. Here's a rundown of what they were blessed with.

Maddie: courage, go to school with confidence, have the Spirit with her, remember what she learns, continue to learn, be a good friend, be a good big sister and helper to mom, have the ability to overcome challenges, and that the day won't be too long for her.

Katie: ability to remember what she studies, have the Holy Ghost help her, grow mentally and socially this year, challenges won't be too much for her, patience to study the things that don't come easily, be organized and remember to turn in work, make new friends, and blessed to associate with friends that will help you grow toward Heavenly Father.

eta: I just really looked at these pictures, who is that girl? She can't be my little Katie, she's way too grown up!

I think the blessings worked. The girls proudly and bravely went to school. Even Maddie who was quite nervous and kept telling me she didn't want to go to school, ran right in and immediately made herself at home!


Oh, the Places You'll Go!

By Dr. Seuss

Congratulations! Today is your day. You're off to great places! You're off and away!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose...

You'll be on your way up! You'll be seeing great sights! You'll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.

Oh, the places you'll go! There is fun to be done!

You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know... So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that life's a great balancing act.

And will you succeed? Yes! You will indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

So... be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Modecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea, you're off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way!

7 comments:

Eileen said...

You are right! Who is she?! All 3 of your kids are so big. How does that happen so fast? I'm on the other end of life. This is my first year of NOT having to send anyone "back to school." I pretty much like it!

I love your love of Dr. Suess.

Jamie said...

Oh yeah I have to add "The places you go" to my list of things that make me cry. I am also enjoying just having me and Emi at home. You have to be careful about saying that your house is quiet though - my friend just posted a blog about how great it is that all four of her kids are now in school and that same week she got called to be RS president!!!

Krysta said...

I love that post! I couldn't believe how grown up they look in those pictures either, especially Katie! What happened!? I'm feeling the same as you, but we will go trough that on Monday. It will just be me and Drew. I should be happy, right?

Andrea said...

We do have similiar posts. How funny. I love that book. It is so wonderful. I hope your girls day was wonderful...

The DeVito's said...

I can't believe how grown up Katie looks! I think she's grown up in the month that I've seen her. I'm glad that Maddie ended up having a good day.

leslie said...

Is that really Katie? She looks so grown-up. I love the Back-to-school time (not necessarily the back to school part), but the concept of starting new and begining a new chapter in learning. I LOVED new notebooks!! And even more NEW TEXTBOOKS. Enjoy this time with Bevan, before long you will fill it up with playgroups and preschools.
LETS HIKE!

leslie said...

Is that really Katie? She looks so grown-up. I love the Back-to-school time (not necessarily the back to school part), but the concept of starting new and begining a new chapter in learning. I LOVED new notebooks!! And even more NEW TEXTBOOKS. Enjoy this time with Bevan, before long you will fill it up with playgroups and preschools.
LETS HIKE!