Sunday, September 26, 2010

20 Years ago...

My world was rocked! Twenty years ago today this world lost one of the most amazing men who ever was here. And I am lucky enough to call him my dad! My dad lost his battle with stomach cancer on September 26, 1990 at about 6:30 in the morning he was only 42. It's a day I'll never forget. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think and wonder about him. He fought with dignity and courage. Until the night before he died he wouldn't even talk about the idea that he might die. It was Homecoming week, a Wed., a beautiful morning. He left behind a legacy of giving, serving, integrity, hard work, friendship, love, dedication, love of God, spirituality and patience. He was the most patient person I know... There is so much more I could say, but I think I will do that another day. For today I think I will just list the three things I'm grateful for having him in my life.


1- He taught me how to work hard. On Sundays he would take the day "off", he only worked 6-8 hours. That is the life of a farmer.

2- He was happy and had an amazing sense of humor. Our house was fun. Whether he was dancing or singing or noticing "barking spiders" or telling dumb jokes he reminded us that there was much fun to be had in life!

3- He taught me how to love. He loved my mom more than I've ever seen a man love a woman. He treated her with the utmost respect. I only remember twice getting in trouble with him and both times were because I disrespected my mom.

This world is a better place because D. Lynn Meikle was here!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Thank you for sharing that. I am sure it helps to reflect. He sounds like an amazing person. It is neat that he loved your mother so much and that you remember that.

The DeVito's said...

Where did you get that picture? I love it! Today was the hardest of the last 20 years.

Eileen said...

How lovely. I have never heard you talk much about your sweet dad. Now I love him too!

And I'm so sorry he died so young. That is not fair at all.