Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Maddie's rough day

This morning just as I turned the water of the shower off I heard the phone ring. I ran and grabbed it because my phone hardly ever rings at that time of the morning. It was a lady who lived down the hill from the golf course. She said "You don't know me but your daughter has crashed on her bike right outside my house. My husband is helping her and there is a man who stopped but I think you need to come down. She is crying really hard."
I quickly got dressed and left with my hair still dripping wet. Unfortunately I got stuck behind the bus. By the time I got down there I couldn't see Maddie but two men were standing there talking. So I got out to see if Maddie was there. The dump truck driver said "She decided to walk her bike down to school. It was a pretty bad crash, I saw it, she flew over her handle bars and landed on her face. Don't get too worried because her face is really dirty." (Only men would let her walk to school. A woman would have insisted that she wait for me to get there.) Bevan and I quickly got into the van and by the time we found Maddie she was right in front of the school. I honked at her and pulled into the parking lot. She came over with big tears and said "Mom, it hurts."
My heart broke! Her face was a mess and I couldn't tell what was blood and what was dirt. I brought her home and cleaned her up. The left side of her face was scratched from forehead to chin. And full of stickers. Luckily, she landed in the bushes and not the road. The boy who was with her later told us that she flew over 5 feet in the air over her handle bars and her bike flew too. She was very blessed!

Today I am very grateful!
1- Heavenly Father is watching over my children even when I can't be with them.
2- Strange men in dump trucks who are willing to stop and sit with my daughter and check out her face and make sure it wasn't broken. (Even if he didn't stop her from walking her bike to school. He just thought she was tough!) :)
3-Bike Helmets

1 comments:

The DeVito's said...

Poor Maddie! That broke my heart. It made me hurt just thinking about her. Reminds me of the many bike crashes we had, but at least they weren't on our faces!