We had a great trip to Las Vegas over the Thanksgiving week. It was very low keyed for what we usually do- thanks to my very pregnant condition. But, it was warmer than it was here and the kids got to do some fun things. As soon as pictures are uploaded I'll record all about the trip.
In the meantime, I want to record this pregnancy. I'm so surprised the things I don't remember about previous pregnancies and it bugs me, I'm glad I wrote (most) of them down. I'm now 34 weeks. The Gestational Diabetes test did come back positive and that has added another kink to the pregnancy. It is really just a pain, I have to check my blood 4 times/day and watch what I eat- not too many carbs, but not too few either. When my sugar levels get too high or too low I can feel it and it doesn't feel good! We started the first few days just trying to control the sugars with my eating. It didn't work, so we went to a medicine called Glyburide. I started with just 5mg's in the morning and my daytime blood sugars came down great (sometimes almost too low), but the overnight (fasting one) still didn't come down so I had to start using 5mg's in the morning and 10 mg's at night. It still isn't doing a great job, but I had a great level this morning so, we are going to wait and see if they stay down. If they don't I'm going to have to go on insulin. I am hoping that is not the case, but I know it's what is best for the baby and it will only be for a few more weeks.
I guess with the GD there are some problems that can arise for the baby. One of them being having too big of a baby, and for a girl who already has 10 pound babies, a bigger baby scares us all! I guess there can also be some lung problems (and I did that with Bevan- no desire to repeat!) So, every other week I get to go have an ultrasound (which is kind of fun) and at least one Non stress Test. I feel like I live at the Dr.'s office. Good thing I like my Dr. since I see her more than I do my husband!
On Monday I have to go see the perinatologist (a Dr. who specializes in unborn baby problems) to have an in-depth ultrasound. I have a lot of extra amniotic fluid (I have had this before and also GD can cause this) but my Dr. felt like she needed a second opinion on the baby because the extra fluid can also be a sign of some defects with the baby. I have felt pretty calm about this but do occasionally get twinges of nerves! We are praying that things are how they should be and if they aren't that it will be something we can handle.
Because of the size of this baby (at last ultrasound he weigh approx. 7 pounds) and the extra fluid- I am HUGE and my stomach is measuring bigger than it should at full term. Holly told me I'm the biggest pregnant woman she's ever seen- those sisters, they'll always tell you the truth! :)
I still have this silly muscle pulling away from my pelvis thing. Yes, it is excruciating! It makes sideways movement almost impossible and turning over in bed is sometimes enough to make me cry out in pain. Walking overall is not a good thing and because of how huge my muscle is swollen the Dr. has told me to stay off my feet as much as possible. Ha, ha! Like that is possible with working and having 3 kids and a husband who is gone more than he's home.
Speaking of husbands being gone. Since the first of August Doug has been working in Salt Lake. To cut down on the gas money and wear and tear on the car Doug stays down with Alesa during the week (we are VERY grateful for their hospitality) but this has been EXTREMELY hard. I've tried not to complain too much because I'm honestly grateful that he's working, but, wow! I am not cut out to be a single mom! Especially a pregnant, single mom. I've had to learn to let some things go, like sometimes that piece of paper on the floor can just sit there until some one else can pick it up! I have had some projects that HAD to get finished if I didn't want this baby to sleep in the bath tub. Thank goodness my mom has picked up the slack on that! And she's been so willing to haul the kids around for me while I'm working. I'm not sure how this situation will change. Right now, I'm so glad Doug is working. When the baby comes...
I'm very grateful that I've made it this far with NO bed rest!!!! It's a first! The blood pressure is high but protein levels are low. So far, so good! Hooray!
Now, to make it through the next 3-6 weeks! At least I have the distraction of Christmas!
Friday, December 3, 2010
More Updates
Posted by Stephanie at 1:07 PM
Labels: baby #5, Thanksgiving
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
So sorry your having to deal with this! My mom sat by your mom at PTC & did say they are hoping to not put you on bedrest--I'll keep praying they don't. I've been having some digestive drama and I found really like KIND nut bars they are high protein low glycemic and they taste good. Hang in there the next few weeks--I'll be thinking about you & praying your little one is doing well.
Post a Comment