Monday, September 14, 2009

C25k

(If you can't read it- this shirt says "You don't have to go fast, you just have to go.")


This is it, I'm in the final days before my 5k. I've jogged (there is no running with what I'm doing- but that's ok, it'll come) the route 3 times now, with different degrees of success. I am honestly having problems getting past the 2.7 mile point. I walk for a little bit and then can jog the rest, I think it's a mental block, so my friend is going to meet me on Wed. to help me push through and then once I do it I'm hoping I'll be able to go the distance again on Saturday. I'm quite proud of myself for getting this far. It's been many, many years (if ever- I cheated in middle school) since I've run 1 mile at a time let alone 3.1. I know that there are many, many people who have run much furthur than 3.1 miles but I'll claim my 3 miles. I've worked hard for these. I'm nervous. I know I will probably be the last to cross the line, but at least I'm doing it, a lot of people aren't even doing that.


I am trying to decide where I go after this, I think I will keep working on the 5k until I can do it a little faster. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I've got to have a goal though, a commitment, I do so much better when there is a committment. I'm a little worried about my knee, it held out pretty well until I started going the 3 miles, now it hurts most all the time. I'm amazed at what jogging has done for me mentally. So much more than walking or even hiking (although hiking is a close 2nd). I think it is the only thing that has gotten me through these last few weeks. I'm amazed at how much better life looks on the days I run- truly cheaper, better, and healthier than prozac!

5 comments:

Mauri said...

I am so proud of you! You are doing awesome!! I can't wait to hear how it goes!! I really think that once you are the actual race, that the adrenaline will kick in and you will be having so much fun that you won't even notice you are jogging the whole time and you will make it the whole way to the finish line! If you can do 2.7....you can do 3.1!! It is all mental. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Good luck and have a great time!

Kevin Austin said...

A 5k is just a 5k until you conquer it, then that same 5k is YOUR 5k. Anytime you can put your mark on something it probably means it put a mark on you.

As hard as it seemed, now you know you can conquer something difficult, now hurdles coming your way won't seem like hurdles as much as they'll seem like speed bumps.

Everyone can do something easy, or something that is easy for that person. But it's when you do something you aren't accustomed to, conquer it, that's when you're progressing as a person. Whether it's a 5k or something else. You conquered something you've never conquered before. Congratulations.

Don't worry about walking after 2.7. Mauri said the adrenaline will make you forget your jogging, I disagree, it isn't really fun, but the feeling after you finish it will be worth the achy knee afterward. Just call your body and your mind liars. Let your heart take over, your last half mile will be easier than the first.

Good luck Steph!

Walker Family said...

You're amazing!!

Anonymous said...

I'm really proud of you! This is a big deal! I am amazed at your will power. I can't walk a 5k, let alone jog or run one. You're awesome! Good luck on the big day!

Courtni said...

yeah!!! seriously how cool is it that you are just a few days away from achieving this goal!? you will be awesome and i am sure you will be able to do the full 3.1 -- can't wait to hear how it went. :-)